The Benefits of Going Green
Incorporating green building supplies, energy-efficient systems and appliances, grey water treatment systems and sustainable land-planning into your construction project goes far beyond mere idealism and environmental ethics. Simply put, “going green” makes sense on multiple levels. Not only can it save you the time and money to expand your business, improve your bottom line, and offer durable solutions to your home or commercial space, but it can also elevate your standing in the community and distinguish your company as environmentally friendly. Both new and long-established businesses have already benefited from our services.
Our work together begins with a two-hour consultation to allow us to assess and better understand the individual needs of your home, land or commercial space. Depending on the timing, budget and scope of the project, we draw up a “Green Master Plan” to help you establish both short- and long-term goals. Going Green draws on over 20 years of expertise in green building to offer a variety of services that stand to improve your business or home.
- Solar and Renewable Energy: There are many forms of renewable energy available today, and finding the right fit for your property and budget can be challenging. From generating electricity to heating domestic hot water and spaces, solar energy offers a range of opportunities for greening your property and lowering utility bills.
- Conservation Strategies: Sometimes all that is needed to improve the efficiency of your home, property or commercial space is a tweak or two. Let us help you find more efficient and money-saving ways of conserving your already-existing energy sources, water, land and building materials.
- Improving Indoor Air Quality: Many indoor environments have poor air quality, which can exacerbate allergies and even lead to health problems such as asthma. That is why is important to consider everything you use from painting and floor finishes to heating system filters and ventilation units. Make your indoor environment a healthy space!
- Durability: Products and materials can either last a long time and save money or require replacing in the short-term. The more durable a good is, the longer it lasts and the more money you save. Let us help you make the right choices for your budget and goals.
- Code Compliance: Rules are rules, and compliance is something all property owners have to endure. Do you have hard-wired smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your buildings? How about low-flow toilets and shower heads? Codes and laws change all the time, so check in with us to make sure your property is up to speed.
- Greywater: Drain water from your washing machine can be safely diverted to non-edible landscaping, reducing the amount of fresh water you would normally use, thereby saving you money. Coupled with a drought-tolerant landscape and smart irrigation, you can dramatically reduce the amount of water used for landscaping, helping mitigate against the effects of drought and lowering your bill.
- Rainwater: Rain can be captured and stored in tanks for later use both for landscaping and for potable water. We can find the right system that will work for you.
- Best Green Practices: Why not start planning ahead for your ideal green environment? We offer a series of green “habits” and practices that conserve resources, save energy and money, and reduces waste.
- Waste Reduction: Comprehensive recycling and green waste systems can drastically reduce the amount of waste a unit generates, saving you money and keeping hazardous materials out of the landfill.
- Green Development: Green development incorporates green strategies in the design and construction phases, whether it’s new construction or renovation of existing buildings. Launching a new development starts with planning the long-term sustainability of your property for future generations to enjoy.
- Land Use Planning: There are many ways to develop land sustainably. Going Green offers a comprehensive evaluation of your property to help you decide the best course of action.
- Subdivisions and Ecovillages: Developing land often requires subdividing, which is a costly and time-consuming process. We can assist in land-use planning and development, as well as navigate you through the process of meeting county and state requirements. With the right information at your disposal, you can create economically and environmentally sustainable neighborhoods, co-housing communities, and ecovillages.
- Multi-family Housing: Take advantage of state rebates through Energy Upgrade California’s new program for multi-family housing!
- Tenant Improvements: As property owners and landlords, you know the value of making improvements and upgrades. From painting and updating heating systems to new flooring, every component has a green option that both tenants and owners appreciate.
- Natural Building: Do you like the aesthetic of an organic environment? Go an even “deeper shade of green” by using natural, on-site materials to build with!
- Transportation Solutions: When planning or improving your property, it is a good idea to consider dedicated areas for transportation. Whether positioning a bicycle storage at ground level so that tenants don’t have to carry bikes upstairs or creating outlets for electrical vehicles to charge, we will help you find smart and forward-thinking solutions.
- Green Building Workshops & Seminars: Have a large group of like-minded individuals, tenants or prospective community members who would benefit from learning more about conservation or green building techniques? Give us a call to book us for an on-site seminar or workshop.
- Permaculture Solutions: Using a comprehensive, ecological design system developed by Bill Mollison, housing, food production, and resource use can be incorporated into a flexible model in both rural and urban settings. Going Green can help you convert yards, lawns, and rooftops into food gardens to maximize the use and efficiency of your space and resources.